Gems of the Sea
Chef Atifa Prinsloo
Kusshi™ Oyster 3 pce
Sea Urchin 1
Micro Beets To garnish
Micro Basil To garnish
Gazpacho Cold Soup:
Green Apple, Granny Smith 100g Whole Milk 112g
Garlic Clove 5g Kosher Salt 2g
White Bread, Crust Removed 680g Virgin Olive Oil 21g
Seedless Green Grapes 225g White Wine Vinegar 42g
Blanched Whole Almonds 112g Black Pepper 2g
Creme Fraiche ½ cup Dill, Finely Chopped 2 sprigs
Whipped Cream ½ cup Green Apple, Granny Smith ¼ pce
Lemon Zest ½ of 1 lemon Salt & Black Cracked Pepper To taste
Apple and Green Grape Cold Soup:
- Combine the apple, garlic, bread, grapes, almonds, milk and 2 cups of water in a bowl.
- Cover and let sit for 6-24 hours. Let all the flavors can fully combine together to incorporate and enhance each other.
- Transfer to a food processor and until smooth while gradually adding the olive oil until emulsified. Emulsification is the key, take your time, and pour slowly to avoid your soup from splitting. Add in the white wine vinegar, for some tartness.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Strain the puree through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl then refrigerate until chilled about 1 hour or until ready to use. Your soup should be velvety smooth.
- Combine the creme fraiche, whipped cream, lemon zest, finely diced apple, dill, salt & pepper, fold gently together.
- Refrigerate and chill for 1 hour
- Pour a ladle of the chilled Gazpacho soup into a chilled bowl. Arrange 3 pces of the Sea Urchin carefully from center outwards on the plate. Leaving a small gap for the apple cream.
- Place 3 flreshly shucked Kusshi™ oysters in between the Sea Urchin Pieces gently, avoiding them from sinking into the soup… let the gems shine!
- Place a small quenelle of the chilled apple cream in the center of the bowl. Garnish with a twist of cucumber skin, and micro herbs placed on each gem.
This amazing Kusshi™ oyster dish was created by Chef Atifa Prinsloo, a Certified Chef & Culinary Arts Instructor at Lasalle College in Vancouver, Canada. Chef Afita has an extremely impressive career history which includes 5 star hotels in both Australia and Hong Kong, as well as leading the culinary team at MARKET, in Vancouver’s own Shangri-La location.
For more of their beautiful work, check out her instagram:
Or find yourself in one of her programs at:
*The photographic representation of this recipe is the intellectual property of the aforementioned Chef. Any public use or presentation of the combined photo and written recipe must be credited as the property of the Chef and/or restaurant indicated.